So, remember my post on unfinished projects? Well, I get to cross one off of the list!
My Noblesse Largesse project went to a lady out in Atlantia, who stated in her dossier that she liked paternosters and the colours green and red. So, going through my beads, I decided to stretch my carving muscles and also make it a stealth medallion. (This is not the first time I’ve created a stealth medallion as a paternoster, either.) So, I got out my ever-faithful Dremel and did some carving into some leftover bone from my Queen’s Prize entry. I knew I’d have problems painting the bone due to the additional calcium added to stabilize the bone, but I knew that I wouldn’t with ink.
So, I carved out a Pelican from a piece of beef shank bone, as my recipient is a member of that Order, with my Dremel. I used a coloured pencil to make my marks, and then went a little bananas. Once I was done with that, I added a bit of India ink, and then wiped it away, thus adding some definition and contrast between the carved and the smooth portions. I also took a bit of acrylic ink and dropped a bit in the part where the blood-drop for the pelican had pierced her breast.
Once I had finished carving it out and had made a little hole for the silk threads to go, I made an 18 bead paternoster. It’s not as period as I’d like, but for the amber beads that I had on hand, it would just have to work.
I am pretty happy with this particular piece, and I hope my recipient likes it. Every time I work with bone, it surprises me, and I’m excited to see what else I can make from it.